OSHA Silica Training
MAKE SURE YOUR COMPANY IS COMPLIANT WITH NEW OSHA PROVISIONS FOR OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE TO CRYSTALLINE SILICA STANDARD IN CONSTRUCTION, 29 CFR 1296.1153 WHEN ENFORCEMENT BEGINS ON SEPTEMBER 23, 2017.
When: Wednesday, August 2, 2017
Where: Birmingham, Alabama
Sponsor: The Deep South Center for OH&S is one of 18 Education and Research Centers sponsored by the National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health. The Deep South Center for OH&S works with industry, business, to promote healthy and safe working conditionals throughout the southeast. Academic and research programs are offered through the University of Alabama at Birmingham and Auburn University.
Course Description: At the conclusion of this course the student will understand the requirements and responsibilities of a silica “competent person” on construction sites and general industry. This course will cover the OSHA’s new 2016 Silica Standard for maritime, construction and general industry. The student will obtain a comprehensive review of the new OSHA regulation, training on the health effects of silica exposure, and practical steps they can take back to their company to protect their employees from the hazards of silica exposure. Students will learn how to properly implement assessment methods for measuring worker exposure, and assists employers in understanding the medical surveillance requirements of the standards.The facilitated and interactive training will allow students to learn objectives to ensure compliance of their company’s silica program, providing training material and communication tools for compliance with the OSHA standard 1926.1153.
Who Should Attend:Safety and health professionals, supervisors and employees who work with materials containing silica.
How You Will Benefit:
• Describe what silica and crystalline silica
• Identify the routes of exposure significant for silica
• Differentiate between the various health effects of silica overexposure
• Description of the signs, symptoms of exposure, and the diseases associated with silica
• Categorize the exposure levels and tasks associated with acute and chronic silicosis
• Outline the major options for making a determination if silica is present
-Best management practices (BMP)
-Methods of compliance
-Changes in the new standard
• Evaluate the various engineering control measures used to reduce exposure to silica
• Analyze exposure monitoring results to determine the appropriate respiratory protection
• Construct a silica exposure monitoring program
• OSHA’s Silica standard
• Overview of Silica and the Health Effects from Exposure to Silica
• Silica Exposure Control Planning
• Medical Evaluations for Employees Exposed to Silica
• Air Sampling Strategies and Methods for Silica Exposure
• Control Methods for Exposure to Silica
8:30 – 9:30 Introduction/ OHSA Standard review 1910.1153
9:30 – 9:45 Break
9:45 – 10:45 Adverse health effects of silica
10:45 –11:00 Break
11:00 –12:00 How to create an effective training program
12:00 –1:00 Lunch
1:00 - 2:00 Exposure assessment for silica in various secenrios
2:00 – 2:15 Break
2:15 – 3:15 Medical evaluations, engineering controls, and respirator use
3:15 – 3:30 Break
3:30 - 4:30 Hands on activity
4:30 – 4:45 Break
4:45 – 5:30 Competent person training completion and questions
Location / Accommodations:
The workshops will be held at the Courtyard Marriott/Homewood, 500 Shades Creek Parkway, Homewood, AL 35209-4418, (205)-879-0400. For the convenience of our participants, blocks of sleeping rooms have been made at the hotel where the programs will be held. Participants should call the hotel directly at (205)-879-0400 and speak with Amber or Courtney for reservations and mention that you are attending a UAB/Deep South Center sponsored course. The room rate is $107.00 night/includes full breakfast. The cutoff date for this room rate is July 28, 2017.
The Deep South Center for Occupational Health and Safety is an approved provider of the Alabama Board of Nursing (ABNP0420, expires 01/03/2019) and has awarded the OSHA Silica Training Training Workshop 8.4 CEU's and for all others .8 contact hours.
- Cost: OSHA Silica Training ~ $ 150.00
TO REGISTER OR FOR MORE INFO, VISIT WWW.UAB.EDU/DSC